I think this is actually very very close to something you would see on the Op-Ed page. There is a bit of a clarity/legibility issue but what about this: instead of fish on plates, what about "swimming skeletons"? Perhaps knocked out on white?
I think this certainly communicates the concept. And I like the design/aesthetics. I think a half-step away from the literal would have elevated it that much higher.
last year i had a teacher who showed us an illustration she did for a story about fish going extinct, and it was swimming skeletons. that was one of my ideas too, but i chose not to do that out of the guilt i would feel for almost completely copying her. haha you know? thanks though!
Oh, I TOTALLY think it's a non-issue to appropriate really broad visual symbols (ie. a swimming fish skeleton). I mean, you can even see that Christian Northeast did that very thing in the posted solution. I think the iffy part comes when you get specific (ie. a fish skeleton with the head of George Bush at the end of a fishing line held by Dick Cheney).
3 comments:
Yeah, where you guys at?
I think this is actually very very close to something you would see on the Op-Ed page. There is a bit of a clarity/legibility issue but what about this: instead of fish on plates, what about "swimming skeletons"? Perhaps knocked out on white?
I think this certainly communicates the concept. And I like the design/aesthetics. I think a half-step away from the literal would have elevated it that much higher.
last year i had a teacher who showed us an illustration she did for a story about fish going extinct, and it was swimming skeletons. that was one of my ideas too, but i chose not to do that out of the guilt i would feel for almost completely copying her. haha you know? thanks though!
are the fish and plates the legibility issue?
Oh, I TOTALLY think it's a non-issue to appropriate really broad visual symbols (ie. a swimming fish skeleton). I mean, you can even see that Christian Northeast did that very thing in the posted solution. I think the iffy part comes when you get specific (ie. a fish skeleton with the head of George Bush at the end of a fishing line held by Dick Cheney).
Post a Comment